Lodging in the Glen Area
The Glen Inn. This was originally Stilphen's Farm;
currently it is the Storybook Inn
is located about a half mile west of the junction of
West Side Road and Rte 302. Originally owned by
beginning about 1920, he had six tourist rooms in the main house
and eleven separate cabins. In the era of Prohibition it was a
well known Roadhouse serving illegal alcoholic beverages. In
1953 the property was purchased by Bill and Evalyn Gimber
they operated it as an Inn and Restaurant until 1959. A
prominent feature in those days were two wooden horses that
stood guard out front. The Woodshed is now the private residence
of Norman and Kathleen Head
, the Gimber's son. Norman is a local
Realtor and the President of the Bartlett Historical Society.
Source Material The Latchstring Was Always Out Aileen
Carroll, 1994. Post card photos courtesy of Michael Bannon
and Dave Eliason.
The original Stilpen's Farm
consisted of about 150 acres and the
original structure was built in the mid 1820's. A
guide-book from the 1880's lists Cornelius Stilphen's
boardinghouse with 20 rooms with rates from six to nine dollars
a week. Probably over the years the Stilphens had
regularly taken in summer boarders as did many other farm
families in that period.
Stilpen's Farm was sold in 1903 to the Libbeys of Gorham whose
timberland abutted the Conway Lumber Company's Rocky Branch
Holdings. The Libbeys' logs were brought out of the woods
by Conway Lumber Teams and loaded at the Maine Central Siding in
Glen. The former Stilphen farmstead served as a
boardinghouse for the teamsters. Fires occuring in
1912-1914 brought a halt to lumbering and the old Stilphen house
was deserted until 1947 except for a caretaker, Percy Wells who
did a little farming and attempted to keep the old house in a
decent state of repair.
In 1947 the property was purchased by
Raymond and Stella Clark.
They did extensive renovations and re opened it as the Storybook
Inn. In 1956 they added two additional wings and shortly
after that added motel type units for a total of 78 rooms. The
Clark's daughter Charless and her Husband Jan Filip now manage
Cottage was the home of
who operated Cannell's
Camps. This group of buildings is located between Jericho
Road and what is now the Massa-Schussers Ski Club. The
cabins were a new idea for the travelling public and these were
the second such group of cabins to be constructed in New
. (The first were in Franconia Notch near the Old
Man of the Mountains.) In 1937 the Cannell's moved to
their present location in Intervale across from the Scenic
Read more from the Source Material "The Latch String Was
Always Out by Aileen Carroll 1994
Accident, Jul 1880
A DRUNKEN DRIVER AND A
TERRIBLE WAGON ACCIDENT ON MOUNT WASHINGTON.
Mountain Wagon Upset and Its Occupants Thrown on to the
Rocks---One Lady Killed and Five Wounded. GLEN COVE, N. H., July
11 1880 The first accident by which any passengers were ever
injured on the carriage road from Glen house to the summit of
Mount Washington occurred this afternoon about a mile below the
Half-way House. One of the six-horse mountain wagons, containing
a party of nine persons, the last load of the excursionists from
Michigan to make the descent of the mountain, was tipped over.
One lady was killed and five others were injured.Soon after
starting from the summit the passengers discovered that the
driver had been drinking while waiting for the party to descend.
They left this wagon a short distance from the summit, and
walked to the Halfway House, four miles, below, where one of the
employees of the carriage road company assured them that there
was no bad place below, and that he thought it would be safe for
them to resume their seats with the driver who was with
them.Soon after passing the Halfway House, in driving around a
curve too rapidly, the carriage was tipped over, throwing the
occupants into the woods and on the rocks. Mrs. Ira Chichester,
of Allegan, Michigan, was instantly killed, and her husband, who
was sitting at her side, was slightly bruised. Of the other
occupants, Mrs. M. L. Tomsley, of Kalamazoo, Mich., had her left
arm broken and received a slight cut on the head; Miss Jessie
Barnard, of Kalamazoo, was slightly injured on the head; Miss
Ella E. Meller and Mrs. C. Ferguson, of Romeo, Mich., and Miss
Emma Lamb, of Howell, Mich., were slightly injured. Miss Emma
Blackman, of Kalamazoo, escaped without any injuries. The
wounded were brought at once to the Glen House, and received
every possible care and attention, there being three physicians
in attendance. Lindsey,
the driver, was probably fatally injured.
He had been on the road for ten years, and was considered one of
the safest and most reliable drivers on the mountain. Mrs.
Vanderhoot, of Chicago, also received slight internal injuries.
The Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia, PA 13 Jul 1880